Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Support (02/16/10)

I am not making this journey alone. Not by a long shot. I remember when I first seriously considered doing this walk, I wasn't sure how my husband was going to react. Let's face it. It's a commitment for me, but it's also a commitment for him. He ends up watching the kids a lot when I walk, and that will be worse as I do longer walks on the weekends. He puts up with me spending time on projects related to this walk instead of getting as much done around the house as I might. Luckily, he was excited that I wanted to do this, and has been nothing but supportive and I truly appreciate it. He is the best husband a girl could want! I couldn't do this without his support.

But he is not the only one supporting my adventure. I have a couple babysitters lined up who are ready to watch my kids (free) if I need to walk during the day when my husband is at work. Of course, everyone who has donated to me is supporting this journey in a way that fills me with amazement, and lots of people are just providing encouragement, kind words, asking me how it's going --- all of that is support that keeps me doing my training walks and aiming to raise more for this cause. Those words make a huge difference and knowing people are out there following my journey on this blog keeps me wanting to do more, to train harder, and to keep going on my fundraising.

I'm just getting my feet wet on the message boards, and I've only had to talk to coaches once so far, but the community that makes up those who are involved in the 3-day walk is outrageously supportive as well. I look forward to tapping thier knowledge and experience as I get further into this process.

I was talking with a good friend today about the walk and she commented on how amazingly I am doing on my fundraising. Once again, I was reminded how in awe of my friends and family I am. We are in a recession. Times are tough, and it has taken me only a month to almost have the amount needed to participate in this walk. I wish I could express better how this makes me feel. It's an incredible feeling.

You all are my support. You all are helping me take each step I take. You all are fighting to see an end to this disease. Thank you so much for being there for me. YOU are amazing!

Fundraising: Total: $2,105.00
Training: 3.6 miles in 1 hour 12 min
Total miles to date: 66.9

(02/15/10) Day off

1 comment:

  1. Found you from a #FollowFriday Tweet. Last year was the first year that I walked in the Breast Cancer 3 Day. Although I do not have the personal connection that you do (at least not yet), the walk was a powerful experience. You will meet even more amazing people during those three days.

    Despite our training, I ran into some knee problems and my wife ended up with blisters on blisters and shin splints. I am not telling you this scare you, just to let you know that the volunteers in the medical tent were wonderful and will help ou continue your journey. I rode on a sweep van or two also, but again, the people there were wonderful.

    Good luck with your training. You are well on your way with your fundraising. (I still need to start that - currently helping my friend raise money for her AIDS ride). Feel free to follow me on Twitter @ACTeeple and ask any questions. (I'm still a bit of a newbie, but at least I have one under my belt, so I hope I can help answer any questions you have.)

    ReplyDelete