Monday, February 1, 2010

Elliptical vs. Walking and More about Shoes (01/21/10)

I took yesterday off. Just trying to listen to my body and also trying to figure out the best way to incorporate my training into my schedule.

Today, I did an hour on the elliptical. I went 1.8 miles, but that number is deceiving. 3 miles walking is a MUCH easier workout than the 1.8 miles I did on the elliptical today. I'm not sure why, but there it is. I'm definitely more tired and worked harder tonight than I have on my walks. I feel really good though after the workout.

The shoes I bought the other day went back to the store, so I'm back to my old shoes. I need to find a place that knows about feet, and that knows about what I need for the walk. I've been told by previous walkers that the shoe should be larger than my normal size because walking over such long distances, my feet will swell and the shoe needs to be able to accomodate that. How you can do that and still prevent blisters from the foot moving around in the shoe, I'm not sure. Maybe it's in how you lace it up? So many little things I need to learn.

I "attended" my getting started meeting over the phone two days ago. Got to see some cool pics of what camp life is like and learned a bit more about some of the logistics of the whole process. If any of you out there reading this have ever thought that you might want to do something like this, I encourage you to learn more, attend one of the meetings, talk to folks who have done it. Come join me! We'll form a team and walk to cure breast cancer together!

It's so cool to have such a great motivator to get me moving and working towards being in better shape. I am still amazed that I've taken this on. I'm no longer in the "what have I gotten myself into" stage, but have been thinking more about how I can really bump up the fundraising. If I'm going to walk 60 miles, camp out two nights in a row, and shower in the back of a semi-truck (I've seen photos and the showers actually look pretty nice, but they *are* in the back of a semi-truck) I really want to shoot for a larger goal than I currently have.

Fundraising: No new donations, Total: $1,850.00
Training: 1.8 miles on the elliptical in 1 hour
Total miles to date: 15.2

No comments:

Post a Comment