Sunday, August 8, 2010

15 Weeks Out

Wow, this walk just gets closer and closer.  I'm still having issues with my foot and have not been walking.  I have been working out at the gym in the pool and am actually enjoying that.  I've had a rough week though.  The not walking and the foot pain has gotten me down.  I know what I need to do next, but I am worried that if that doesn't help me, that I may be stuck not walking much in November during the actual walk.  I cannot see what I can try after this next step, and that has me feeling a little boxed in, betrayed by my body and trapped.  I know that the important thing is the fundraising and raising awareness, but the fact of the matter is that as crazy as it may sound,  I truly WANT to walk 60-miles.

The super interesting thing is that I posted about this on my Facebook page, and got some great support from my friends and family.  One of the most touching posts was one my mom made.  For anyone who may not know, she is the main reason I am participating in the 3-day walk as an almost 9 year survivor of breast cancer.

"What you are experiencing is similar to feelings that breast cancer survivors have.  Life is going along and suddenly there is "something wrong" and the diagnosis.  Fear of the future and discouragement.  Then the treatment and pain and slow recovery.  As the person starts to get better, they do too much occasionally and suffer a setback.  There is always the fear of recurrence and frustration at the slowness of recovery.  Through determination, recovery comes along and they go on to live their lives, although perhaps in a different way. So, you will probably be able to do the walk, but keep the goal in mind.  Raising funds to help find a cure for cancer!  Even if you can't walk the whole way that doesn't negate the reason you are doing this, and the admiration we all have for you to even try.  Hang in there and it will get better.  I KNOW!"

So I will continue to work towards a foot that does not hurt and continue to raise funds and raise awareness.  I will do what I can when the walk gets here.  It will be what it is.  If my mom can battle cancer, this is the least I can do so other people don't have to face what she has gone through.

(8/5/10)
Training: 1 hour of water aerobics

(8/4/10)
Training: 40 laps in the pool and 1 hour of water aerobics

(8/3/10)
Training: 2.0 miles in 12 minutes on stationary bike
100 laps (2500 yards or 1.42 miles) in 1 hour in the pool

No comments:

Post a Comment