Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Break in Training. Why Do I Feel Guilty?

So this weekend was crazy.  We had friends visit from San Francisco on Saturday and the house was an immense disaster.  I worked tirelessly on Friday and again on Saturday to get the house in order and then make homemade Enchiladas for everyone.  I had hoped to at least get an hour walk in, but ran out of time and didn't do any walking at all on Saturday.  Sunday was Easter, and we celebrated with my brother and his family.  The egg hunt was awesome and the game of hide and seek the kids played afterwards was even cuter.  We couldn't initially figure out why there were three kids who were "it" and only one kid hiding.  Then we heard one of the kids who was "it" say "Let's go find that egg!"  Definitely made me smile.  Again, I did not get a walk in.  Monday, my son woke up running a fever of 103 and I spent most of the day taking care of him and hoping that neither I nor my daughter or husband would catch whatever he has.   I was not feeling so good by the time Frank got home and once again, no walk.

OK, it's only 3 days of training I've missed, and technically the 24-week training schedule hasn't even started for my event in November --- it starts in June.  So why do I feel just a little bit guilty that I missed walking at least one of those three days?  I know that part of it is that I need to walk.  I feel better when I get walks in, and I know how far I need to go still in my training.  I also know that part of it is that I feel like I'm letting down my supporters when I don't keep up with what I've decided should be my training schedule currently.  And I get the feeling that I'm letting down all the families out there touched by breast cancer.  I've made a comittment and need to stick to it.  That's the kind of personality I have.  If I agree to do something, I generally do it wholeheartedly and full out.

At the same time, I also know that life gets in the way of training, which is why I only feel a little bit guilty that I missed these last three days.  I know this is not the last time that I will skip a scheduled training walk and that it is totally OK to allow life to get in the way of our schedule.

I am happy to report that my son is feeling a bit better today and so am I.  I'm hoping to do at least a short walk when my hubby gets home from work.

(04/06/10)
Fundraising: Total: $2,735.00
Training: 2.8 miles in 1 hour 1 minute
Total miles to date:167.6

No comments:

Post a Comment